Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Fine Line

One of the hardest parts of crafting a great tale is not showing your hand too soon. It doesn’t matter whether you are writing a great game, novel, movie, comic, etc. You must seamlessly detail people, places, things or events that will be of importance later with the things that are utterly trivial. You need to bring appropriate attention to it without grabbing a big yellow highlighter and circling it and writing “For Use Later” above it.

That was one of my problems with the most recent member of the Alien franchise. Prometheus fell into this pit early on. The use of the “dark liquid” at the beginning foreshadowed that it would appear again, later in the movie. Almost everything to do with Ms. Vicker’s life raft was contrived. From the fact that it was essentially another ship capable of providing everything that she may need to the convenient medical pod that was contained within it. Every one of these things was presented with dialog that might have well been a big yellow highlighter.
However, I suppose this is really no different than other ham-handed approaches in storytelling. It sort of makes me think of Star Trek. We all knew if they wore a red shirt and had no first name (or even referenced as anything other than their rank) that they were doomed to die. They should have worn florescent yellow shirts and had text floating about them that said “I’m a goner.”

I suppose that was one of the reasons I started to like the Game of Thrones series. I say series as I haven’t read the books yet. They seemed a bit voluminous for me. However, other than to cast fairly handsome people in roles that are important, you don’t necessarily see all of the twists and turns. You get attached to a strong character. Due to our understanding of good writing, we feel that “the good guys” or protagonists or main character are immune to death. It is through them that we experience the story.
Unfortunately, Mr. Martin does not subscribe to conventional storytelling tropes. While this is perfect for seamlessly blending the important plot points with simple facts that expand the world, it does make it difficult to truly become immersed in the story. Sure, you get to find out the story based on the point of view of this character or that. But do not get too close. The character will meet an end of some sort that will force you to pick a new favorite.

I mentioned that I started to like the series. I finished the second season and will likely watch whatever else is produced. However, it lost my full attention. At this point, the only characters I can stand are Arya Stark and Tyrion Lannister. However, I fear not actually like them too much. If I do, they will die as did the other characters that I enjoyed.
While his method of storytelling does seem more realistic, there is a reason that we enjoy tales of good versus evil. We like to know, that even in face of the worst pains and obstacles, they will overcome. We want there to be a silver lining in the cloud. We want to know that things will get better. And that we, through the character, can triumph. It gives us hope and reminds us that no matter how shitty today is, there is always tomorrow and the promise that it can be a better day. I guess I am a fool for wanting there to be a big yellow highlighter that circles the good guys and write about it “They Will Live.”

No comments:

Post a Comment